Friday, January 7, 2011

Hey, I'm Alex...I'm an Actress




Hey World,

Happy 2011. It's crazy to think that I have only been in LA for one year! So much has happened over the past year.
* * *
The first time I ever set foot on the lot at Sony, I knew it was a special place. After two quick trips to LA earlier that year, I couldn’t get enough of it. I felt enchanted. It was Christmas break from Loyola Chicago 2008. I was in Heaven. I was excited to discover that my high school friend, Lauren, not only lived in LA, but also worked at Sony Pictures Athletic Club. At the time, the gym was rather bland. The lot was like a magic world. I couldn’t get over the feeling of being in an enormous setting where movies were made. I knew I wanted to go back to LA and Sony Pictures. I knew it was time for me to move to LA.



Shortly after I returned to Loyola Chicago, I worked on my application and essay to Loyola Marymount. I couldn’t get LA out of my head. It was a dream. I had switched apartments with the only person I knew in LA at the time, a random guy I barely knew, who was from Chicago. Milton agreed to let me stay at his Hollywood studio in exchange for my Chicago condo. It was not quite the even trade, however, I wanted to be in Hollywood. For me, it was the world. I was elated. The dingy studio was creepy, attracted a weird group of people and did not have heat at night. I was bundled up, cold, but completely content.

My family was shocked. I bought a one-way ticket to LA and told them I’d try to make it back for Christmas. Within two days, I got a job at a hip restaurant called Kitchen 24. New Years Eve, I was on Lauren’s boat in Marina del Rey.



I never made it back to Chicago until the week after New Years. The night I returned to Chicago, I actually booked a new flight for February, to spend Valentine’s Day in LA. I was slowly making my move. In May, I received my acceptance letter from Loyola Marymount. I cried. I was so happy.

In August 2009, I permanently established Los Angeles as my home. I committed to graduating from Loyola Marymount and becoming a professional film/television actress.



I focused on targeting agents and managers. It took me six months to sign with an agent and one year to find my manager. I submitted myself to roles and began targeting casting directors. Finally, I booked a pilot for ABC family that was picked up by Roger’s Network in Canada. I won the Best Actress Award in the New York Film Festival. I performed twice as the headline for House of Blues with my rock band. I began hosting my own radio/TV Show at LMU. I felt as though I was making progress, but I wanted much more...

Love,
Lexi