Thursday, January 14, 2010

Seeing the Big Picture: Auditioning as a Lifestyle




Hey World,

Auditions come about in the most random way. You will sometimes get a call from your agent a week in advance (This is extremely rare.) You will sometimes get a call from your agent one day in advance. (This is common.) Guess what, you will sometimes get a call from your agent the same day, just a few hours before the audition. (This has definitely happened to me.) Here's the thing, I can explain the way that works as far as casting is concerned because I worked as an intern for a casting agency and learned this from the opposite side. However, this is certainly discussion for an entirely different blog because it is in-depth and can get to how that works later.

Moving on...I have been crazy busy the past few days! I am flooded with auditions. It's been boom, boom, boom auditions and work. I'm really exhausted so I will keep this short and sweet. One thing to keep in mind about auditioning is this: Remember that you are auditioning for your career, not just the one specific role. A casting director may respect the fact that you presented "Camera Ready" work and call you in again in the future as a result. It's not about that one role. Don't get bogged down in the small stuff. It's about building lasting relationships so that you keep getting called in time and time again until you book. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Perseverance & Patience--those are the words I live by. I will have to come back to this because I have to wake up early for an audition tomrorow...I have two tomorrow :)

My first audition today was long and physical. I auditioned for a "Dollface" Pin-Up Singer/Dancer group. I know, I was thinking to myself, "I should really be focusing on acting..." But I love dancing too! In February I'm doing a show at the House of Blues with a few other artists. YES. I'm singing :) I think it is okay to continue performing in all aspects that I enjoy, however, I do need to stay focused on acting.

Back to auditioning...when you are on your way to an audition, make a list of goals for yourself. Here is an example of what I do: "In this audition I am going to be 1) Confident 2) Open 3) Humble 4) Exude a positive attitude 5) Have fun " I think it's great to make a list, whether it's 3 or 5 things or even 1 that you hope to achieve in your audition. Then when you walk out, you can think, "Did I knock that out?" "Was I fun?" "Was I confident?" I really do this. It works.

K, well, goodnight world !

Peace & Love,
Alessandra

Enjoy "On the Goodship Lollipop!" This is one of my all-time favorites! It was one of the first songs my Nana taught me when I was a little girl :)

">