Monday, January 25, 2010

Improv For Life!


my first IO show in Los Angeles

Hey World,

Happy Monday! Today's topic is Improv for Life! Improv is a critical skill for the actor. I would not be where I am today without my experiences at Second City and IO Chicago. I studied and performed at Second City Chicago from 2006-2009. I graduated the Conservatory, Music Conservatory and Acting Program at Second City in 2008. I was lucky enough to have encountered so many talented people at Second City. I worked with Michael Gellman and Norm Holly, two of my favorite teachers. I have immense respect for Michael Gellman and Norm Holly. They gave me so many wonderful gifts! Both Michael and Norm are brilliant and accomplished, while maintaining humility and empathy with their students. I was so impressed by the level of professionalism that these two directors brought to the classroom, rehearsal and performance. Expectations were high. We were challenged in an environment that allowed us to learn and grow as performers.

I recommend Second City for any actor, at every skill level. Other memorable teachers and directors at Second City were: Bina Martin, Mike Descoteaux, Stephanie McCullough,Andrew Ritter, Jack Bronis, and Michael Pieper. Bina was my first teacher in 2006 and I remember my first Second City class. It's not every day that one is lucky enough to study improv with a Harvard grad! Bina's passion and talent gave us a really unique environment to learn and grow. Mike Descoteaux taugh me SO much! WOW! He is a genius musician who has taken Musical Improv to a whole new level! Steph McCullough was and is one of my favorite people in the world! She is extremely supportive and her positive energy and enthusiasm for Musical Improv is contagious. Steph influenced me to get involved in Musical Improv and as a result, I auditioned for the Music Conservatory.

I remember when Steph came into our Improv class even before Conservatory and I was thinking, "WOW, this is SO cool. We can improvise scenes and SING! I loved it." Steph introduced me to this whole new world of improv and I fell in love with Musical Improv.

Andrew Ritter taught me to exude confidence, project strong stage presence, and take risks.

Jack Bronis taught me, "TODAY IS THE DAY!" among many other great lessons and laughs.

Michale Pieper's acting program was serious and all-intensive but it was also a blast! After graduating his program, I was invited to his private workshop and really enjoyed my time studying there. Michael gave us a practical outlook. He encouraged us to take steps forward in our careers and also gave great feedback.

I recently auditioned to be a regular performer at IO and I now perform on Friday nights in Los Angeles at 8pm PRIME TIME, SOLD OUT show !! :)


Thank you, SECOND CITY! & thank you to all of my wonderful teachers, directors and coaches from Second City who have fostered my growth, education and helped me to become a well-rounded actress!

Best,
Alex DiNovi
"> Second City Chicago