Sunday, January 24, 2010

Focus on Doing the Work: Representation Will Come

before my first IO show last Friday night, my good friend, Ryan Silver and my makeup artist, Tania Alejo

Hey World,

I have received multitudinous emails, facebook messages, and phone calls on this subject so I feel the need to address it! (This may need future blogs bc it is a complex monster!)

Welcome to the world of a performer! Do you want to make a career doing what you are passionate about? You need an agent. I'm not going to pretend there is an easy step-by-step method to getting the best agent, because it's not that simple. However, I will tell you what I know, what I've experienced and how it works.

1) Headshots
You need a solid theatrical & commercial headshot. I recommend that you have your headshots done at least once a year if not every six months. It is CRUCIAL that you look like your headshot. In other words, don't have your headshot photo-shopped, don't change your hair color or anything else that your headshot presents because it is extremely annoying for agents and especially casting directors.

2) Resume
Your resume should accurately reflect your work experience. Do not lie on your resume and if you haven't done anything, take classes immediately. Improv, Scene Study, On Camera and Audition Techniques are the bare minimum required before you go off on any acting auditions. CUT YOUR RESUME with a paper cutter to perfectly fit your headshot. DO NOT print your resume directly on the back of your headshot. People actually do this and it smears and looks awkward. Really? You want to present yourself as a professional. This is no different from any other business. People forget that. STAPLE your resume. Don't glue it, tape it or come up with any other creative, cute way of attaching it to your headshot. It's simple, two staples and you're done.

3) Business Cards
This is a business right? You need business cards. I don't care what anyone says, business cards are essential for actors. Your business card should be simple and clean. It has your favorite CURRENT Commercial headshot with your gorgeous smile, your name, your website, your email address and your phone number. You should have 10 with you at all times.

You should have at least 100 commercial headshots and 100 theatrical headshots printed at any one time if this is really your professional business endeavor. You are an entrepreneur. You should not leave the house without having a headshot/resume or at least your business card on you at ALL TIMES.


Moving on...now that you have a clean theatrical and commercial headshot and a gorgeous business card, you are ready to pursue an agent.

Here's the thing, you don't want to "Pursue" an agent. It should really be the other way around. If you've never had a good agent, however, I recommend you pursue an agent so that you can appreciate your solid rep when you get with them, because you will then know the difference between a good and bad agent. I've been fortunate enough to have encountered this early on in my career. My first agent was great Commercially and my first Theatrical agent was a trainwreck, followed by my amazing Theatrical agent who is a machine, so I certainly understand the concept of a good and bad agent.

Guess what? Having a bad agent is a good thing in the long run. I now appreciate my last theatrical agent because of my experiences with a disorganized, sloppy agent.

You need to understand your brand. Your agent needs to have a clear picture of who you are.

There are two things you can do and I recommend both: 1) Focus on Doing the Work and Representation will Come 2) Reach out to potential agents who you are genuinely interested in, including large and small agencies

I think it's best to start with a smaller agency because you may find that in the beginning it is important to receive more attention from your agent and in a larger agency, where you rank lower, you really have to follow up with your agent and make sure they are sending you out.

I sent my agent a "bombshell" picture of me on the red carpet at my premiere for my film, Swirl last year and I remember just a week after that he sent me out for a "blonde bombshell" role in an upcoming Adam Sandler film. (I auditioned for the role of Rob Schneider's daughter and knocked it out. I made the two casting directors laugh so hard. Unfortunately, they ended up re-writing the role to "nerdy ugly duckling" and I didn't get it, but since it was as a result of a rewrite, I remained elated with my work in the audition, because like I said earlier, it's not all about the specific role, it's about the work you do in the room and how the casting directors remember you.) Anyway, correlation is not causation, however, it is quite remarkable that I sent the "bombshell" red carpet picture just a week before I went in for a "bombshell" role. Stay current with your agent. Let them see what you look like and what you are doing. Show interest in them! I write personal letters and emails to my agents all the time, updating them on what I'm doing. Send pictures, tickets to shows, VIP passes for movie premieres, or simply updates on your work once a month.

Before you have an agent, I recommend you write letters in addition to sending your headshot. Everyone sends their headshots, but how many actors write personal letters expressing their talent, ability, passion, current work and why they would like that particular agent to represent them?

SHARE GOOD PRESS!
Here is an example of what I mean by being sought after on a smaller scale. When I first got with my amazing theatrical agent, it was because I had mailed him a newspaper article that was written about me and my work. He called me after he received this article saying, "I'd really like to have you in the office." I remember he said, "This can't wait!" That was so cool to know that my agent was really excited to meet me.

Don't you want your agent to be excited about you so that they are excited to submit you? YES.

* * *

Warmly,
Alexandra DiNovi
">